Sunday, July 09, 2006

My dad made pizza today. It tasted fantastic but the proprotions were kind of wrong. For one, the last pizza he made (he made 3) had the approximate dimensions and mass of a standard birthday cake. I ate one 'slice' and am still bloated even though dinner was around 4 hours ago.

How many people out there think that they are special? Not in the egoistical way but just the feeling that somehow they are just slightly different from those around them. I wonder if everyone feels that way. And if it is true. That everyone really is unique, or are there, as my physics teacher loves to say, discrete levels of personality?

For example, sometimes its is possible to see by the type of people what kind of jokes they will appreciate. For example, some people love corny jokes. Mostly its just the indiscriminate usage of puns. Sometimes I can't even tell if these jokes are so sickening, which the joker assumes is he being funny, so much so that it actually become a compliment, or that it is, in actual fact a compliment and that people are just using the word 'lame' because they cannot think of another word to describe the specific type of humor. Example of this type of humor: Anything with Jacky wu in it. Although he does it with such ablomb and anticlimax that it is funny.

On what I think would be the oppsite spectrum of humor are those people that love jokes with innuendos and complexities. When it seems that every word is so right, yet sounds so wrong. Personally I myself am a sucker for those types, which is why I love dilbert and the far side and some other people don't. Ok, the first line was crap, I just wanted to make use of the word 'innuendo'. These complex jokes usually require a sound knowledge of 'standards'. Say, a knowledge of commonly used cliches. The humor would then be to distort this cliches or ideas wich just enough recognizability to create a gap, which your brain fills in with laughter and the assumption that something is funny.

Another humor, which I do not regard in either category, has two broad distinctions. The response is also very obviously divided and is so easy to see. Basically the joke goes something like this: I fell down on my ass this afternoon. It hurt. And the response is either HahaHAHAhahaHAHAha, or you are such a loser. The second response is graded into two finer distinctions: you are such a LOSER and you are SUCH a loser. I'm not even going to try to explain that, because I'm not quite sure how to expalain it myself.

Personally, my brand of humor is a sort of split between the skeptical kind of humor, and a combination of odd analogies and amplification of insignificant details with a hint of inappropriate exaggeration. Most of the time my jokes are lost on unsuspecting friends and innocent victims. When it is understood however, The gatification is satisfying.

I suddenly have the compulsive urge to state that I KNOW that there was an abrupt shift in the flow and that there was no 'example'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home