Friday, April 06, 2007

I've always wondered why i tend to like the essays that I get low marks for and find those that I get better marks for boring. Thanks to richard, who asked my why my paragraphs seem to have no link, I believe I have solved the mystery!

Which brings me to this theory of two styles of writing. I shall call them series and parallel. In series writing, I have a starting point and an arbitary ending point, or not. What happens is that you start writing on a certain topic, and as you go along, you generate ideas for your next paragraph, which generate ideas for your next paragraph, which generate ideas for your next paragraph, ad infinitum or when you are tired of typing. Usually this makes it seem like each paragraph is not relevant to the topic, or even to the next, but it is! It really is. There's a thin sliver of logic linking each paragraph together. And the best part is that no one knows where this might lead up to. Usually you end up somewhere totally unexpected and it is as though the whole thing writes itself and you are just typing shit in. I usually fail this kind of essays.

The next kind will be the parallel writing. This is where at the end of every paragraph, you will have to link it to the topic in question.

This is boring shit, commonly found in good gp essays and social studies answers. I think that in this format, each paragraph does not link to the next but instead goes back to the question, much like, erm... Aha! A flower, where each petal is not connected to the next but are all connected to the pedicel or whatever to form the corolla. As opposed to the 'series' type writing, which is like, erm... BEADS ON A STRING, wrapped around a histone protein which is actually your main argument I guess. So each paragraph is linked not so much with the topic statement, but with the ideas before and after it. Voila, a bio lesson. Just because sm wrote about her teaching bio. And to think that I wanted to write about the difference between infatuation and love originally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home