Sunday, July 05, 2009















Australia is beautiful beautiful beautiful, even when its cold cold cold. The food is great, the wildlife and plants are fantastic and the scenery! Never thought it would be so amazing, even in winter.
We got stopped by the police the other day. They condemned our car and gave us 10 days to take it off the roads. In these ten days, I intend to travel like crazy and then scrap the car.
I went snorkelling on rottnest island that day as well. In case you didn't know, it is winter here in australia. The temperature that day was 8-16 degrees and there was absolutely no one on the beach. Pansies. I waded along for several hundred meters looking for a place to enter the water. It seems that not all beaches are sandy. Some are rocky and corally, covered with seaweed and suddenly drop off several meters from ankle height to 'you gotta know how to float' height. It took some guts because I wasn't sure if I could pull myself up the rocky shelf later but i jumped in anyway.
Turns out that the sea was not as cold as I imagined. Though, a wetsuit would have helped. I simply hugged myself and swam around and tried not to think of what would happen if I got tangled up in seaweed, or a shark decided that I should be its next meal, or if I got too cold and died of hypothermia. Trust me, these things jump out on you when you are snorkelling alone on an empty beach in the middle of winter on a strange island.
You know they always say that studying abroad teaches you things that you will never learn in
singapore. I could never buy a car for $700 in singapore and try to fix it up myself. I could never cook that many meals, or visit so many cool places; not with the brevity and rush of a tourist, but just taking it day by day and immersing myself in that life, enjoying their ridiculously cheap cleanskin wines.
Its beautiful.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home